The a.s.r building dates back to the seventies. In 2010 it was decided, after a thorough review, to renovate the a.s.r. building located at Archimedeslaan 10 in Utrecht in a sustainable manner instead of opting for a new building. The renovations were carried out between 2013 and 2015. The renovated office is fully set up for smart working and meets a.s.r.’s sustainability targets, making it cost-effective and 50% more energy-efficient.
For the renovation of a.s.r.’s head office in Utrecht, AT Osborne carried out the following activities:
- Drawing up the functional, interior layout and technical requirements catalogue, including integration of the smart working programme Nieuwe Generatie Werken, and formulating the sustainability requirements.
- Defining estimates of the investment costs.
- Cost management (installations).
- (Development of starting points for) Construction logistics and scheduling, with the building having to remain in use during the renovation.
- Advice on organisation of construction and contracting.
- Drawing up contracts with the design team members and Bouwcombinatie Archimedes for construction.
- Chairing the tender committee and assisting in evaluating the draft designs submitted.
- Project management and design coordination during the design phase.
- Project management and test coordination during the engineering phase.
- Project management and construction supervision during the implementation phase and commissioning.
The total size of the building is approx. 85,000m² in surface area, of which 54,000m² is rentable office space and 17,000m² is rentable central support and logistics functions. A new underground meeting centre has been built and, after completion of the renovation, the building will be able to house approximately 2,800 workstations for 4,000 employees.